[Techtalk] Basic Q, can't find answers elsewhere

mgmonza at sdf.lonestar.org mgmonza at sdf.lonestar.org
Mon Jul 3 09:38:45 UTC 2017

Thanks, Miriam,

It looks like Mint is a lot different from the old Ubuntu I used for years
past its expiration date.  I'm trying to keep Mint from starting wlan or
networking, whichever it is that's doing this, before the desktop even
comes up.  In old Ubuntu, I'd just rename a script in init.d from S to K
prefix, and that runlevel would skip it on startup.

I can't find anything like this for Mint.  Buried somewhere in the initial
startup scripts is something that turns on the wireless, -then- the
desktop loads and comes up.  That's what I'm trying to find and turn off.
Dmesg doesn't have anything obvious.

The links you shared as well as all the searches I've done, only address
stopping networking -after- the system has come up completely and
networking has already started.  I want to stop it from starting in the
first place.

I had set up my old Ubuntu system to start in text mode, both for
nostalgia and cheap security - if someone got hold of the laptop and tried
to start the default OS, all they'd get initially would be a near-blank
screen with Login:  They'd have to already know the userids on that system
to login - not just select one from a list. Networking was down by
default, turned on by ifup. From there, I'd start gdm.  This is the setup
I'm trying to replicate, and the part I want most is starting off with the
network down.

This is sent on Alpine, and I even have gopher and lynx installed.  Guess
I'm just too much of a dinosaur for the Internets to help me now!

Kathleen