[Techtalk] Helping non-techies with websites -- any experience?

Elwing elwing at elwing.org
Fri Oct 28 12:32:23 UTC 2016

> On Oct 27, 2016, at 10:37 PM, Akkana Peck <akkana at shallowsky.com> wrote:
>
> At the other end, one friend is wondering if she should host at
> Wordpress.com, because she wants a professional looking site and
> likes all the styles they offer. I've helped a little on a site
> running on Wordpress on another server, and although I mostly stay
> away from the Wordpress admin (I mostly write backend PHP code for
> them) I do see what goes into choosing and installing plugins and
> themes, and it looks like a lot of work. Is that a lot easier when
> the site is hosted on Wordpress.com?

One thing to consider is whether they want to monetize their website in any way - that’s generally prohibited by wordpress.com’s terms of service.  They’d need to pay for wordpress hosting elsewhere - as an aside, I’ve been very happy with dream host’s wordpress hosting.  If they just want a showcase of their work and a “contact me” button, that probably skirts the TOS and would be acceptable - either way, read the TOS of wordpress.com :)