[Techtalk] Sound problem

Little Girl littlergirl at gmail.com
Sun Dec 4 15:34:58 UTC 2016

Hey there,

David Sumbler wrote:

[SNIP]

> I can get sound from the speakers or earphones when I use QjackCtl
> and programs such as Qtractor, because I can choose the output
> device.  So I can get on with my MIDI project.
>
> But for programs which don't naturally interface with Jack I can
> get no sound at all.  When I use Chrome, VNC etc. I have no sound
> available. And I do want to use this laptop as a general-use
> computer when I am away from home.

[SNIP]

> Can anyone suggest how I can get sound working generally (not just
> for specialized programs) on this computer?

You might want to try PulseAudio Volume Control. You can find it as
pavucontrol in the package manager or install it by that name on the
command line. It's a little bit fiddly, but has a surprising amount
of power over how your audio is controlled by each program.

--
Little Girl

There is no spoon.