[Techtalk] moar on mobile internet - Linux?

Patrick Olson compman42 at linuxusers.us
Wed Sep 16 22:42:43 UTC 2015

On Tue, September 15, 2015 6:36 pm, Carla Schroder wrote:

[snip]

> Of course the cheery salespersons are all "Yeah, Linux, no problem!"
> But I want a second opinion-- I want to have a proper LAN and use all
> my nice Linux boxes just like I'm used to. And iPhone, and Android
> tablets, and my lone token Windoze machine. Can I do this?

I tried this about 5 years ago, with a verizon mi-fi 2200 (going from
memory, so pardon if the model number is wrong) and it froze up every day
or so. So I tethered it to an old computer and used internet connection
sharing. Although I'm not sure why, this worked much better. Hopefully
modern hotspots work better.

One consideration is how many devices this hotspot can support. The box
for my t-mobile 4g hotspot says "up to 5 devices" but since it's over 3
years old, I'd imagine they have a newer model out by now (mine is
"MF61"). Also if you have any devices like my blu-ray player that seems to
renew its IP address even when its been off for days, I have to wonder if
the hotspot would count that as one of 5.

Another consideration is if all of your devices support wi-fi. For
example, my TV doesn't have wi-fi and probably wouldn't know what to do if
I plugged this device into it's USB port, and this device doesn't have
ethernet.

If test results from this model ("MF61") would be helpful to anyone, just
let me know whether to try wi-fi or tethered or both.