[Techtalk] xfs repartitioning

A. Mani a.mani.cms at gmail.com
Sat Oct 17 05:17:59 UTC 2015

On Sat, Oct 17, 2015 at 7:14 AM, Meryll Larkin <mll at alwanza.com> wrote:

> I have a new server that was formatted with a completely empty xfs 80T file
> system (CentOS 6).
>
> The OS and boot partitions are on different HD completely.

Good

> I would like to reformat the 80T partition into 4 20T partitions - I need
> guidance with this.  Anyone?
>
> It is OK to completely destroy the 80T xfs partition first, but I need to
> end up with 4 approximately 20 T  xfs partitions.

Boot from system rescue cd

delete 80T partition and create the new partitions and then format
each partition and check

use gparted

use labels on the partitions too

Nothing special

> I am NOT a novice at all, but I am new at such large drives and xfs.  For
> example, I thought that I could use familiar fdisk (wrong).

parted or gparted would be optimal.

You must be having a nice partition table already.

> After an XFS file system is created, its size cannot be reduced.
>
> How about destroyed and remade into smaller partitions??

Yes, that is the way.

You can do all of this from within your running system, but I don't
know your processes.

Best

A. Mani

Prof(Miss) A. Mani