[Techtalk] backing up to vfat

Miriam English mim at miriam-english.org
Mon Nov 30 13:19:39 UTC 2015

Hi folks,

I prefer to format my flash drives to ext2, or ext4 without a journal,
but I often need to read my files on non-linux computers in which case I
have to use vfat formatted flash drives and just put up with the
annoying problems of that filesystem (upper-lower-case blind, doesn't
allow links, screws up attributes).

One of the problems is that for updating my backups I use
cp -avu <source> <destination>

On a linux-formatted drive this works nicely, not touching files that
haven't been altered and only overwriting files that have changed.
Unfortunately this isn't so with vfat-formatted drives, where it
overwrites everything. This can end up taking a long time, which is
really annoying if only a couple of files have changed out of hundreds,
and is not good for the flash drive as it lessens the lifetime of the
drive. Does anybody know of a command that would work the way I want for
vfat? Or will I have to write a script that checks the date and filesize
for each file?

Cheers,

	- Miriam

--
If you don't have any failures then you're not trying hard enough.
  - Dr. Charles Elachi, director of NASA's Jet Propulsion Laboratory