[Techtalk] Phenology/Citizen Science nature logging frameworks?

Akkana Peck akkana at shallowsky.com
Sun Nov 1 23:19:15 UTC 2015

Has anybody worked with, or seen, an open source web package for
logging nature observations, like noting what birds or other animals
you see, when trees lose their leaves, when flowers bloom?

I want to get more organized about recording details like that, but
rather than just editing a CSV or text file on my own computer, I'd
love to set up a website that other people could use. There are a
lot of people where I live who use eBird for birds and email their
flowers-in-bloom sightings to a mailing list, but there's no
organized way of collating all that data and making it available.
And I bet there are lots of people in other places who might use
a site like that too.

I wouldn't need lots of bells and whistles, mostly just a web
framework where people could log in, set their location, and enter
date, time, species, and their observations (maybe with a few other
fields like how many of that species). Data analysis, maps,
collations etc. would be great but that's fun stuff I could work
on whenever; the important thing is starting to gather the data.

Python strongly preferred, but I could live with PHP. I'd prefer
to avoid Java.

Any suggestions? And is anyone else interested in a project like this?

        ...Akkana