[Techtalk] satellite vs. mobile internet

Michelle Murrain michelle at murrain.net
Fri Jul 31 21:01:37 UTC 2015

Hi Carla,

I have WildBlue. I've used anonymizing VPN's fine, I've also remoted in to
other systems, which was annoying. WildBlue's latency takes getting used to
in SSH sessions, but it's workable. My impression is that 4G is slower than
WildBlue.

The big issue is the bandwidth cap, although if you don't stream tons of
movies or games, it might not be a big deal. There's a plan called
"Evolution" which is unlimited web and email, plus 5-10 G of other stuff.
With two of us working from home, with skype sessions and the like, we
actually ended up getting two dishes.

Although 3G/4G I think has similar caps, and is similarly expensive per GB
- but it doesn't have the latency issue.

We don't have the 3G/4G option here - if we did, I'd do a combo, something
where you only pay for the Gs you use for the VPN and other stuff, plus
satellite.

Anyway, that's my buck fifty.

Peace,
Michelle

Michelle Murrain
michelle at murrain.net

“The ability to simplify means to eliminate the unnecessary so that the
necessary may speak.” (Hans Hofmann)