[Techtalk] The Dell XPS 13 Developers Ubuntu

Miriam English mim at miriam-english.org
Sun Jul 26 11:30:41 UTC 2015

Hi Raena,

I'm not sure this is much help to you, but about a year ago I bought an
extremely cheap tablet computer direct from China via dx.com for about
$60. Unfortunately it has the Android OS preinstalled, but I hope to put
linux on it eventually. Android sits on top of the Linux kernel so it
shouldn't be too hard (I hope).

The interesting thing is this machine has an ARM processor and uses
hardly any electricity at all. I've been using it most of today during a
blackout. (We get lots of blackouts where I live.) I can plug in mouse
and/or keyboard and use it as a desktop/laptop machine where the screen
is also touch-sensitive. As well as using it for much of the day for
other things I watched some hours of videos on it (with earplugs) and
the battery level is still at 98%. This is after probably about 5 hours
of use. Try doing that with a laptop!

I should mention one slight drawback with this machine is that the
pixels are not quite square, which means the image is slightly
stretched. In practice this hardly affects most of the things I do
(writing, reading, watching videos), but I wouldn't want to do artwork
on it. Another thing that can be a drawback is that the screen is not
very bright. This is undoubtedly one of the reasons the battery lasts so
long, but it means it is not very visible in sunlight. That's not a
problem for me as I use it inside the house.

This little tablet computer has no brand name, but searching the net
I've found it is a "Q8H" or "Q88Pro" -- a design that seems to be sold
by a bunch of companies under different brand names.

My point is that tablet computers are worth a second look too. They can
be low cost, light, compact, and act as laptops or desktop computers as
needed. Also the ARM chips in many of them can be incredibly energy
efficient. But check the specs for them very carefully.

Just a thought anyway. :)

Good luck in your search for the right machine.

	- Miriam