[Techtalk] Setting browser fonts makes buttons disappear

Miriam English mim at miriam-english.org
Mon Jan 5 04:03:48 UTC 2015

On 05/01/15 12:45, Akkana Peck wrote:

> For instance, the one next to "Home" says F0 53.
> ...  it's part of the "Private Use Unicode subset" (good
> going, Twitter, that sounds nice and portable) and displays as a
> script S in most fonts.
>
> And indeed, in my font, Twitter shows a big script-S there. But if I
> enable "allow pages to use other fonts" I see a little house.

The rosettaicons (icomoon) font shows a house, but Google's OpenSans
shows "<" and so does FontAwesome (though I wonder if only one of those
latter two actually has a character in that position). So that's 3
different characters in that position so far: a house icon, an "S", and "<".

Lack of standardisation is such a pain.

--
If you don't have any failures then you're not trying hard enough.
  - Dr. Charles Elachi, director of NASA's Jet Propulsion Laboratory