[Techtalk] Setting up an ADSL router for remote access

Rudy Zijlstra rudy at grumpydevil.homelinux.org
Wed Dec 30 13:00:09 UTC 2015

On 30-12-15 12:35, David Sumbler wrote:
> On Wed, 2015-12-30 at 00:21 +0100, Rudy Zijlstra wrote:
>> The problem you are describing, can be caused on either your computer or
>> hers. That is why i ask whether you also get this problem when you try
>> to use Teamviewer to control another computer then your friends. If the
>> problem also appears in that case, the issue in probably in the video
>> control on your computer.
>>
>> So trying to determine on which side of the link to look for a solution ;)
>
> As mentioned in my previous email, my latest attempts were made using my
> own laptop as the "remote" machine - I am not in possession of my
> friend's computer at the moment.  So, yes, logically I suppose the
> problem must be with my own desktop computer.
>
> I'll try installing the full TeamViewer on my laptop when I have the
> time, and see whether I get better results using that as the local
> machine.
Thank you, this was double checking, as i got a bit confused with the
remainder of the information ;)

> On Tue, 2015-12-29 at 18:39 -0500, Little Girl wrote:
>> TeamViewer is extremely picky about versions. Are you both using the
>> same version of TeamViewer?
> I just ran the TeamViewer Quick Support module on the remote machine - I
> have not (yet) installed the full version on that computer.  I have
> version 11 on the local machine.
My experience with teamviewer is that in case of a version mismatch it
will complain and refuse to work at all (and tell you to upgrade).

> On Tue, 2015-12-29 at 21:16 -0800, Deborah Gronke Bennett wrote:
>> I would experiment with the "View" menu. My remote computer has two
>> monitors. I have to select "show all active monitors" and then
>> "View"->"Best Fit" to get a workable display.
> I'll certainly try this when I have a chance.
>
>> You might also experiment with what driver you are using in Ubuntu. Some
>> graphics devices work better or worse if you use the proprietary driver
>> or the generic driver. (I suggest this since you also had problems with
>> other programs, which points more to a driver problem with your display).
> 'sudo lshw -C display' gives:
>
>    *-display
>         product: GT216 [GeForce GT 220]
>         vendor: NVIDIA Corporation
>         physical id: 0
>         bus info: pci at 0000:01:00.0
>         version: a2
>         width: 64 bits
>         clock: 33MHz
>         capabilities: pm msi pciexpress vga_controller bus_master cap_list rom
>         configuration: driver=nouveau latency=0
>         resources: irq:16 memory:fd000000-fdffffff memory:e0000000-efffffff memory:de000000-dfffffff ioport:cc00(size=128) memory:fe900000-fe97ffff
Both nouveau and the driver from NVidia have pro and con. I usually use
the nvidia provided driver although nouveau has made great steps in the
last years.
You could try with the NVidia provided driver (which is different yet
from nvidiafb).

In Debian this is package nvidia-driver to obtain the NVidia proprietary
driver. I expect Ubuntu to use a similar name.

Rudy