[Techtalk] Munging and Wrapping Testing Summary

Terry tech at futurecourse.com
Sat Aug 8 13:28:43 UTC 2015

*Addendum 2 AOL issue with compuserve.com addresses*

AOL is rejecting list mail with From: addresses with a compuserve.com
domain.  AOL's error code is "521 5.2.1 :  AOL will not accept delivery
of this message.".  AOL's site lists 4 reasons why this code is used.
We've narrowed it down to "RFC2822 From domain does not match the rDNS
of sending server".  This appears to be some type of pseudo-SPF check.
https://postmaster.aol.com/error-codes

Unfortunately, there's nothing we can do about this except file a report
with AOL, which we've done.  Because AOL has not seen fit to put a DMARC
TXT record into the compuserve.com DNS records, Mailman can't trigger a
rewrite of the From:.  There's no way we can force that to happen.

The good news, if you can call it that, is the bounces only occur for
compuserve.com/aol.com addresses when it's a post from a compuserve.com
address.  We have very few compuserve.com/aol.com addresses so impact on
the membership is minimized.

We'll continue to monitor bounces to make sure no other issues crop up.

Unless anyone has anything else they think we need to test, I think
we're ready to move forward on this.  I'll get in touch with the other
sysadmins and we'll go over everything.  It looks like selective munging
of the From: header is the option which causes the least damage.

--
Terry