[Techtalk] Unknown computer error

rudy at grumpydevil.homelinux.org rudy at grumpydevil.homelinux.org
Tue Apr 28 18:49:53 UTC 2015

Fsck only checks filesystem consistency. It does not check for bad blocks, or read errors inside files. You are getting read errors from the disk. And the disk informs you it is a media error, in other words the disk firmware cannot get the data from the platter.

A modern disk has at least one cylinder worth of spare blocks to use as spare, which is uses to replace blocks giving problems. As the disk is apparently generating a lot of errors, it seems to be out of those.

If you want more info, run smartctl --all (from memory) anf look at the output, especialky remapped blocks

Cheers

Rudy (from tablet)