[Techtalk] Apache 2.2 - Virtual host redirecting to default domain if file isn't specified

Terry tech at futurecourse.com
Sun Apr 26 23:01:31 UTC 2015

Hi folks,

Seriously newbie Debian Squeeze apache2 question. My google-fu is
failing me.  We're cleaning up the old server at linuxchix.org for a
move to a new VM. Yay!

What changed during the cleanup:

1. Removed the symlinks in sites-enabled for some really old sites.

2. Removed a symlink in mods-enabled that was incorrect and causing a
module to try to load twice.

3. Both the ports.conf file and the default vhost file had
NameVirtualHost directives.

ports.conf:  NameVirtualHost *:80
default vhost: NameVirtualHost *

All of the vhost files had <VirtualHost *>.

Did some googling and removed the NameVirtualHost * directive in the
default vhost file and changed all the vhost files to <VirtualHost *.80>

Warnings gone.  Yay!

Now there's a new problem.  If I go to http://courses.linuxchix.org or
http://mailman.linuxchix.org or http://live.linuxchix.org, I get
redirected to the default site, www.linuxchix.org. :(

I can access all the subdomains *if* the URL contains a file name.
Example: http://courses.linuxchix.org/index.html works fine.

Syntax looks fine.  Output of apachectl -t -D DUMP_VHOSTS
VirtualHost configuration:
wildcard NameVirtualHosts and _default_ servers:
*:80                   is a NameVirtualHost
         default server www.linuxchix.org
(/etc/apache2/sites-enabled/000-www.linuxchix.org:6)
         port 80 namevhost www.linuxchix.org
(/etc/apache2/sites-enabled/000-www.linuxchix.org:6)
         port 80 namevhost courses.linuxchix.org
(/etc/apache2/sites-enabled/courses.linuxchix.org:3)
         port 80 namevhost live.linuxchix.org
(/etc/apache2/sites-enabled/live.linuxchix.org:2)
         port 80 namevhost mailman.linuxchix.org
(/etc/apache2/sites-enabled/mailman.linuxchix.org:3)
Syntax OK

I've googled until I'm blue in the face and can't figure out what's
causing this to happen.  I know next to nothing about apache2 and have
followed every troubleshooting guide I could find.  The VirtualHost
configuration has no syntax errors and lists the right virtual hosts.
No errors are showing up in any error logs.

Any help/guidance would be greatly appreciated.  I did check to make
sure there is no wildcard *.linuxchix.org domain set anywhere and there
isn't.

Enabled vhost files below sig.

--
Terry

www.linuxchix.org:
<VirtualHost *:80>
	ServerName www.linuxchix.org
	ServerAlias linuxchix.org
	ServerAdmin sysadmin at linuxchix.org
	RedirectToServerName on

        DocumentRoot    /home/drupal/drupal
        CustomLog       /var/log/apache2/www.linuxchix.org-access.log
combined
	ErrorLog 	/var/log/apache2/www.linuxchix.org-error.log
	php_value	error_log /var/log/apache2/www.linuxchix.org-error.log
	LogLevel 	crit

	# Don't show directory listings for URLs which map to a directory.
	Options -Indexes

	# Follow symbolic links in this directory.
	Options +FollowSymLinks

	DirectoryIndex index.php

	# Temporary alias while the courses are ported, retain after launch
	Alias /content/courses	/var/www/temporary-courses-archive

</VirtualHost>

<Directory /var/www/temporary-courses-archive>
	Options +Indexes MultiViews
	DirectoryIndex index.html
</Directory>

<Files "cron.php">
    order deny,allow
    deny from all
    allow from 127.0.0
    allow from 140.211.166.107
</Files>

courses.linuxchix.org
<VirtualHost *:80>
        ServerName      courses.linuxchix.org
	ServerAlias 	www.courses.linuxchix.org
        DocumentRoot    /var/www/courses-static
        CustomLog
/var/log/apache2/courses.linuxchix.org-access.log combined
	ErrorLog 	/var/log/apache2/courses.linuxchix.org-error.log
	LogLevel 	warn
</VirtualHost>

live.linuxchix.org:
<VirtualHost *:80>
        ServerName      live.linuxchix.org

	Redirect permanent	/rss.xml	http://www.linuxchix.org/aggregator/rss
	RedirectMatch permanent	^/$	http://www.linuxchix.org/live
	Redirect gone		/atom.xml
	Redirect gone		/opml.xml
	Redirect gone		/foafroll.xml
	Redirect gone		/common.css
	Redirect gone		/stylesheet.css
	RedirectMatch gone	/heads/.*\.png

        CustomLog       /var/log/apache2/live.linuxchix.org-access.log
combined
	ErrorLog 	/var/log/apache2/live.linuxchix.org-error.log
	LogLevel 	warn
</VirtualHost>

mailman.linuxchix.org:
<VirtualHost *:80>
	ServerName	mailman.linuxchix.org
	ServerAdmin	sysadmin at linuxchix.org
	ServerAlias	hub.linuxchix.org
	RedirectToServerName on

	ScriptAlias /mailman/ /usr/lib/cgi-bin/mailman/
	Alias /pipermail/ /var/lib/mailman/archives/public/
	Alias /pipermail /var/lib/mailman/archives/public/

	RedirectMatch ^/$ /mailman/listinfo

	<Directory /var/lib/mailman/archives/public>
		AllowOverride All
		Order allow,deny
		allow from all
	</Directory>

	ErrorLog /var/log/apache2/mailman.linuxchix.org-error.log

	# alert, emerg.
	LogLevel warn

	CustomLog /var/log/apache2/mailman.linuxchix.org-access.log combined
	ServerSignature On

	Include
/etc/apache2/sites-available/includes/mailman.linuxchix.org-redirects-moved-sites

</VirtualHost>

mailman.linuxchix.org-redirects-moved-sites:
# Mailman URLs to all go to one address only
Redirect permanent /mailman http://mailman.linuxchix.org/mailman
Redirect permanent /cgi-bin/mailman http://mailman.linuxchix.org/mailman
Redirect permanent /pipermail http://mailman.linuxchix.org/pipermail