[Techtalk] finding bad files

Miriam English mim at miriam-english.org
Mon Apr 13 14:40:01 UTC 2015

I have a large drive with an enormous number of files on it, a small
number of which are broken. I've found they are broken when trying to
copy them to another drive. When listing them they appear to be the
proper size, but when copying only part will copy before producing an error.

My problem is in trying to find which files are corrupt.

My first thought was of simply overwriting the files from my backup
drive. This works fine if I do it by hand, file by file, but if I try
something automated that only updates files that are the wrong size (I
don't want to overwrite files that are okay) then it will miss the
corrupt ones, because they look fine until I try to copy from them.

My next thought was that I could do a fake copy of the files on the
drive out to /dev/null and log the standard output and standard error
streams but /dev/null can't handle writing directories.

Any ideas?

	- Miriam

--
If you don't have any failures then you're not trying hard enough.
  - Dr. Charles Elachi, director of NASA's Jet Propulsion Laboratory