[Techtalk] website link checking that does orphans?

Amanda Babcock Furrow alb at quandary.org
Mon Apr 13 02:50:08 UTC 2015

On Sun, Apr 12, 2015 at 08:37:17PM -0600, Akkana Peck wrote:

> When I look at those, none of them except linklint say anything
> about finding orphans (and linklint's orphan finder doesn't work, as
> I mentioned in my initial query).  Are there secret flags for some
> of those programs that I'm not finding?
>
> It still boggles my mind that this is so hard to find; isn't it
> something every web admin everywhere needs?

I don't actually know the answer, but I know how I would attack
the problem: I'd spider the site with wget, and compare the resulting
directory of files to the actual files on the site (maybe with rsync,
or diff if they're on the same machine).  Maybe people using this
solution is why there isn't an automated one?

I'd also check logs to see which files haven't been accessed.  Maybe
some orphan files are linked to from outside.

Amanda