[Techtalk] still fedup after fedora upgrade

Meryll Larkin mll at alwanza.com
Fri Sep 5 06:03:24 UTC 2014

Two kernel upgrades later and I'm still suffering with Fedora 20.

I'm sure this is something I SHOULD know how to do, so if anyone can point
me in the right direction (to documentation), I would be grateful.  I will
read it.

Whenever I reboot (like after installing updates) my grub menu still gives
me problems.

The GRUB entries now read:
   Fedora (3.15.10-201.fc20.x86_64) 20 Heisenbug            (like an
uncertainty principle with a bug)
   Fedora (3.15.10-201.fc20.x86_64) 20 Heisenbug            (I'm certain
it's an ugly bug)
   Fedora
   Advanced options for Fedora

The Third or Fourth option can work.  They point to Fedora
3.14.8-200.fc20.x86_64

Each of the two top choices fail to boot my machine with these errors:
         Error can't find command linuxefi
         Error can't find command initrdefi

I have NO CLUE why these kernels should be looking for EFI since I don't
have EFI.  I have BIOS.
I have NO CLUE why the same error does NOT appear on the earlier version.
(but I'm grateful for that or I wouldn't be able to login).

And to make matters worse, the /boot/grub2/grub.cfg
states right on top:  DO NOT EDIT THIS FILE MANUALLY - because it is
generated new by script at each boot (so it won't do any good anyway).

So I've gone to /etc/grub.d and I know that the file I need to edit is the
one named 10_linux

I see this conditional:
if    -d    /sys/firmware/efi
Well, I don't have an  efi   directory in /sys/firmware

So why is it still trying to load efi??

Any ideas?

thanks,
Meryll Larkin