[Techtalk] Collaborating on websites without ssh

Akkana Peck akkana at shallowsky.com
Mon Sep 1 21:10:02 UTC 2014

> On Mon, Sep 1, 2014 at 2:56 PM, Kathryn Hogg <kjh at flyballdogs.com> wrote:
> > Does unison support ftp as a transport mechanism?

It does -- though while researching it, I stumbled upon curlftpfs,
which might be enough by itself. I was able to mount the remote
directory as a filesystem and then rsync from it, though the
server's dates seem to be in a different time zone from mine, and
curlftpfs doesn't have a way to compensate for that so rsync ends up
wanting to copy every file every time unless I use --size-only.  I
bet that's also why mirroring with lftp always copied too much.

I may still look into unison, if I have any problems with rsync over
curlftpfs. And I guess there are other ways of setting up a file
system over ftp? Kathryn mentioned FTPS and Gayathri mentioned
vsftpd, though I'm not finding much about how to use either of those
as a filesystem.

Wim De Smet writes:
> I think unison does support FTP. I'd advocate setting up some sort of extra
> repository though. At the very least you can share a folder in dropbox and
> be sure you have each other's changes. [or bitbucket or github]

I mentioned the possibility of setting up some kind of version
control system for the website to my compatriots and they recoiled
in horror at the thought of something that geeky.  I do have a
local git repository on my own machine, so I can track my own
changes as long as I'm disciplined about syncing other people's
changes from the website into my own tree before I start editing.

Thanks for the suggestions!

        ...Akkana