[Techtalk] C programming study group

Miriam English mim at miriam-english.org
Sat Oct 11 21:44:33 UTC 2014

A few times I've begun getting into C, but something else always
interrupted. A few years ago I found "Learn C the Hard Way", available
free online at http://c.learncodethehardway.org/ as web pages and
eventually for sale as an ebook (the Ruby ebook sells for about $3, so I
expect the C one will have a similar pricetag). But once again I didn't
get far before I had other stuff I needed to do. It always seemed to me
a great way to learn because it is full of examples and exercises and I
learn best by doing, so the "hard" way is really, for me, the easy way
-- probably the only way for me to learn a computer language (I've
learned many that way). I'm waiting til I can set aside clear time to
learn it, perhaps early next year.

Learn C the Hard Way is designed as a C course the author, Zed Shaw, has
been gradually writing. Chapters 48 to 50 in which a tiny virtual
machine is designed and made are not online yet, but will eventually.
Everything else is up there now.

Zed is available (email address is given on the site's main page and
book's preface web page) for questions and feedback. There is also a git
repository which Zed invites people to fork. Zed now conducts online
courses too (currently for $29).

Best wishes,

	- Miriam