[Techtalk] still fedup after fedora upgrade

Meryll Larkin mll at alwanza.com
Sun Nov 23 02:28:19 UTC 2014

Thanks Robyn,

Robyn:   Your suggestion helped!  Here is what I did to get my Fedora 20
booting into linux instead of erroring on linuxefi (because I have BIOS).

1.  Took your suggestion and copied all my boot files (I used rsync) from my
/boot partition  into a  directory named /boot_new
2.  I was really busy at work and this is a system at home, so rather than
roll-back existing kernels, I waited for the next kernel upgrade - but did
not upgrade until...
3.  I booted into a Linux rescue USB and commented out the boot partition in
/etc/fstab and renamed /boot_new to /boot.
Robyn's idea of the above was that there was something about having a boot
partition that made my system default to efi  configuration.

4.  I had an idea of my own.  I examined /etc/grub.d/00_header and noted 2
modules with efi in their names:  efi_gop and efi_uga
I ran lsmod and noticed that the two kernel modules with efi in their names
were not loading on my machine anyway.
I commented out those two lines in /etc/grub.d/00_header

5.  I shutdown and booted into Fedora20.  The system recognized the /boot
directory but my /boot/grub2/grub.cfg still wanted to boot me into linuxefi
(those were my top two menu items).
6.  Did a yum update and rebooted.
7.  Nothing changed.  I was still selecting the 3rd menu item down on the
grub boot menu and it still wanted me to boot to linuxefi.

8.  Followed directions here to update my /boot/grub2/grub.cfg file:
https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/GRUB_2?rd=Grub2#Updating_GRUB_2_configuration
_on_BIOS_systems
which means that as root, I issued these commands:
       grub2-install /dev/sda
      grub2-mkconfig -o /boot/grub2/grub.cfg

Was happy to see no error output.
9.  Then rebooted.
I am now running kernel 3.17.3-200  which is the  current version for Fedora
20  and my grub.cfg is fixed.
This means I can now reboot all the way to a command prompt without manual
intervention, which is what I needed to achieve.

I don't know which of those steps above were actually necessary.  Maybe they
all were, or maybe only two of them were; I'll leave that for the engineers.
Meantime I have a lot of other things to accomplish so that I can have my
systems running as I want them to.

Now on to learn Systemd....

thanks!

Meryll