[Techtalk] Maker Girls

Miriam English mim at miriam-english.org
Thu Mar 6 21:49:16 UTC 2014

Hi Little Girl,

I think most "official" makers do so as a hobby, not as their job.

When I told her I'd forwarded her email to this list I said that I put
together my own computers, and make all sorts of stuff from plastic milk
cartons and coathangers and all kinds of stuff, but because have not
*yet* built a 3D printer, I discounted myself. I'm now wondering if I
was wrong to dismiss what I make...

When I think of the extraordinary 3D objects I've seen made out of
basically 2D string, by knitting, sewing, and weaving it, perhaps women
have "traditionally" always been makers, yet somehow generally
discounted by themselves and others. I wonder why making a spacesuit or
a clean-room "bunny suit" is generally considered "important" and making
a kids' bedtime bunny suit is not? Entire societies flower or fall
depending on the care of children given largely by women, so any
argument of life-dependency or economics is merely one of scope. Heck,
as I read somewhere recently, women make (give birth to and largely
raise) the entire workforce. :)

Best wishes,

	- Miriam

--
If you don't have any failures then you're not trying hard enough.
  - Dr. Charles Elachi, director of NASA's Jet Propulsion Laboratory