[Techtalk] still fedup after fedora upgrade

Meryll Larkin mll at alwanza.com
Sun Jun 29 15:37:39 UTC 2014

Thanks to both Wim and A. Mani for responding.

I just issued the
 grub2-mkconfig -o /boot/grub2/grub.cfg
command again, see below
Maybe now I'll find something in the logs because I am now in a worse place.
There were 2 choices in the first menu
   Fedora
   Advanced Options...
So of course I let it auto-accept Fedora  which booted all the way to :

    Welcome to rescue mode!  Type "systemctl default" or ^D to enter into
default mode.
    Type  "journalctl  -xb" to view system logs.  Type "systemctl reboot" to
reboot.
    Failed to issue method call:  Operation refused, unit basic.target may
be requested by dependency only.

BUT THE WORST thing about this is that NOW my keyboard doesn't work.  I
actually can't type anything that will show up on the screen nor that the
system will respond to.

Apparently I'm not the only one who has arrived here after using FedUp and
Fedora's response is the same as all the other stuff I've been looking up in
Fedora wiki hoping to find helpful answers

And I LOVE this one.  On ask.fedoraproject, it has no answers and 323 views.

Just so that you know I've done a lot of work on my own:

   After EACH of my upgrades I did the
   yum clean all
    yum-complete-transaction  (actually this was only available after I
upgraded to Fedora 20 and updated)
  yum update
  package-cleanup --orphans
  yum update
  yum clean all

I DID follow those instructions, here (that was actually the first thing I
tried after updating to Fedora 20):
https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/GRUB_2?rd=Grub2#Updating_GRUB_2_configuration
_on_BIOS_systems
 that got me into the same place I am now
https://ask.fedoraproject.org/en/question/40578/how-to-reinstall-or-fix-grub
-in-fedora-20/

I ran the following successfully (had to modify their advice to fit my
system)
sudo su -
mkdir /mnt/target
vgchange -ay
df -h  (to find names of my partitions)
cd /mnt
mount /dev/mapper/vg_cedar-lv_root /mnt/target
cd /target
ls /mnt/target/boot   (to confirm empty directory)
mount /dev/sda1 boot
mount -o bind /dev dev
mount -o bind /proc proc
mount -o bind /sys sys
chroot .      (at this point, pwd is /mnt/target)
grub2-install /dev/sda  (apparently sda is right for this command, not sda1)
exit   (to get out of chroot, I'm still at pwd    /mnt/target )
umount dev
umount proc
umount sys
umount boot