[Techtalk] still fedup after fedora upgrade

Meryll Larkin mll at alwanza.com
Sun Jun 29 07:43:38 UTC 2014

Haven't found anything in the logs yet that would indicate why it boots into
rescue mode.
In fact the boot log says:
  Reached target system initialization
  Starting Rescue shell
 Reached Target Rescue Mode
(that was the last line)

One line right after the other, as if the target system initialization IS
the rescue shell.  I don't see any errors in the boot.log.

/etc/fstab hasn't changed since January 2013 and it was working fine then,
but it does have an entry that looks strange to me.
I KNOW that the boot partition is on /dev/sda1, but in the fstab it doesn't
look that way:

/dev/mapper/vg_cedar-lv_root /                       ext4    defaults
1 1
UUID=2b4740df-d050-4720-a7cf-b3d6e4ef7faf /boot                   ext4
defaults        1 2
/dev/mapper/vg_cedar-lv_home /home                   ext4    defaults
1 2
/dev/mapper/vg_cedar-lv_swap swap                    swap    defaults
0 0
tmpfs                   /dev/shm                tmpfs   defaults        0 0
devpts                  /dev/pts                devpts  gid=5,mode=620  0 0
sysfs                   /sys                    sysfs   defaults        0 0
proc                    /proc                   proc    defaults        0 0

I could mess with the boot entry in fstab and reboot, if it breaks, I can
use Fedora 20 Live CD to fix it (again, again).

The ArchWiki reminds me that I never ran grub-mkconfig -o
/boot/grub/grub.cfg

But the ArchWiki confuses me and that scares me because creating a binary
might not be as easy to revert as changing text configurations.

For example, the ArchWiki indicates I should use these command:
     # grub-install --target=i386-pc --recheck --debug /dev/sdx
     # grub-mkconfig -o /boot/grub/grub.cfg

But I don't understand those commands.
1. My system is x86_64,  why am I writing "i386"?
2.  grub doesn't exist anymore.  Fedora 20 uses grub2

So both of those commands look questionable to me and I don't know if I
should adapt them, how I should adapt them, or if I should use them
completely as is (after changing the /dev/sdx  to /dev/sda).

Meryll