[Techtalk] interesting photo management problem-- weeding out duplicates

Miriam Ruiz miriam at debian.org
Mon Apr 28 06:44:24 UTC 2014

> On Mon, 28 Apr 2014 00:56:00 +0200
> Miriam Ruiz <miriam at debian.org> wrote:

>> > Thoughts? Brainstorms? I also looked at the Organize command
>> > included in Exiv2, but I couldn't get it to build on my system.
>>
>> I kind of do more or less the same, but using the program fdupes:
>>
>> b=""
>> fdupes tmp/ --recurse | \
>>   while read f
>>     do
>>       if [ "$f" = "" ]
>>     then
>>       b=""
>>     else
>>       if [ "$b" = "" ]
>>     then
>>       b="$f"
>>     else
>>       rm "$f" && echo "Remove \"$f\""
>>       ln -v "$b" "$f"
>>     fi
>>   fi
>> done
>>

> What is the purpose of creating the hardlink?

Well, that was my particular choice, it could be a symlink instead, or
just to remove the file, or to move the file somewhere elsem and just
symlink it in your file structure, or indexing them in a database of
duplicates. My purpose was to remove the space occupied by the
redundant files (which happened to be mostly songs, films and photos)
while keeping them where they were, Of course, they were all in the
same disk.

Greetings,
Miry