[Techtalk] Gimp tutorials

Akkana Peck akkana at shallowsky.com
Fri Oct 18 16:34:06 UTC 2013

A. Mani writes:
> On Fri, Oct 18, 2013 at 7:54 AM, Akkana Peck <akkana at shallowsky.com> wrote:
> > was no reader for [djvu] available in the Debian repos (let alone for
> > an e-reader device). I did find one via a web search and was able
> > to read the book, but it was a lot of hassle.
>
> okular, djview, evince
>
> #sudo apt-cache search djvu
[long list of mostly libraries and tools for producing djvu, not reading it]

You're right -- djview is in Debian. Dangit, why doesn't it show up
in aptitude search djvu? That's crazy. Anyway, that's the one I used,
but it couldn't rewrap or otherwise deal with small screens; it
worked just like a PDF reader but with fewer options.

I tend to discount evince because it's too much hassle to use, since
it doesn't remember state like window size and zoom. I didn't know
about okular, but ouch, the dependencies -- on a non-KDE system I'd
have to install 64 other packages just to try it.

I like the idea of settling on epub as a general document-reading
format, despite the weaknesses Miriam mentioned. It does need much
better tools and libraries -- on Linux, the only viewer (besides
Calibre which is tied into a whole elaborate document cataloging
system) is FBreader, and the Linux version is very poor (the Android
version is quite good). Sigil shows promise as an editor, but most
distros still don't include it. Epub also needs better documentation,
libraries and tools for managing things like tags.  But this is
all solvable -- even without documentation and having to reverse-
engineer the format I was able to write a tag viewer/modifier in just
a few hours. I've spent longer than that on converting a single PDF.

	...Akkana