[Techtalk] Gimp tutorials

Billie Walsh bilwalsh at swbell.net
Fri Oct 18 13:29:15 UTC 2013

On 10/17/2013 11:05 PM, Maria McKinley wrote:
> The other problem with html is it just isn't that easy to write. I can take
> a document that I write in pretty much any editor, and pretty easily
> convert it to pdf, but there is no easy way to take that same document and
> convert it to html.

I turn PDF's into HTML all the time. [ I just completed a 1,000 page
book ] My method is not a direct conversion but a multi-step process.
PDF's are, as near as I can figure a series of graphics linked together,
kinda-sorta [ simple explanation ]. I have a piece of software that I
bought for Windows that does an incredible job of converting PDF's to
document formats, I typically use RTF. This I open into Libre Office. I
use that to convert to HTML. For very large files I then open that in
Kate to strip out all the unnecessary HTML BS that Libre Office puts in
and break the file into segments small enough for Bluefish to handle [
Bluefish will choke and puke on a really large file. ] I then open the
smaller files in Bluefish to add the formatting I want. It really isn't
as painful as it sounds and doesn't really take that much time. The last
step is the one that takes the longest. The process retains the basic
layout of the document as it was in the PDF so the formatting HTML is
fairly simple most of the time.

In case your interested, this is the 1,000 page book I just finished:

http://freepages.books.rootsweb.ancestry.com/~billie0w/richardson_memorial/index.html

http://tinyurl.com/nfkduo7

--

A cat is a puzzle with no solution.

Cats are tiny little women in fur coats.

When you get all full of yourself try giving orders to a cat.