[Techtalk] Gimp tutorials

Miriam English mim at miriam-english.org
Thu Oct 17 23:47:33 UTC 2013

The trouble with pdf, djvu, ps, eps is that they are all paper-oriented,
instead of screen-oriented. The best way to make a text+graphics
document suitable for screen display is html. This is because it is
designed to fit itself optimally to whatever resolution device you have.
Young kids with excellent eyesight tend to push their machines to the
highest resolution possible whereas older folks generally use lower
resolutions. Some people with older, less powerful machines have no
choice but to use lower resolution displays. And handheld devices are
overtaking desktops as the most used computers now. A page of sensibly
designed html will reflow the page to display nicely on all those.

For paper-oriented formats you are stuck with the resolution the author
demands. If the resolution of your display is lower then you have to not
only scroll up and down but left and right too, making it easy to miss
stuff on the page. Add to that, the lock-in because of inability to
convert information back out, the requirement for a special, often
bloated, viewer (whereas *everybody* has html viewers), the
discontinuous paged nature of the display, the peculiar keys and mouse
movements required for navigation, and the filesize of pdf documents
being bloated to perhaps ten times the size of their html counterpart.

The most futile aspect is that if dead-tree use is eliminated (as our
impact on the planet ultimately requires us to do) then those
inconvenient formats are rendered completely unnecessary because html
was deliberately designed for electronic displays.

There is also another argument against pdf that has nothing to do with
technology: Adobe has become (perhaps always was) a nasty corporation.
It is not healthy to society or the market to help such companies to
greater strength.

Please don't take this reply as a personal rebuke. It isn't. I
understand why people accept the use of paper-oriented formats. This is
how most of our lives operate. It would be exhausting to question
*everything* all the time. With electronic formats vs paper-formats it
is very much a matter of being accustomed something. Electronic formats
are much easier to use, but that weighs very little against the comfort
of what a person is familiar with.

At one point I used to print everything onto paper, until I realised how
difficult (and expensive) it made things. Now I hardly use paper at all
and my life is made much easier because I can get my computer to search
for what I want, sit in bed and read on a handheld device more
comfortably than a paperback, and walk the 7 kilometers into town
happily reading on my handheld device. I can index thousands of
bookmarks in an organised manner, and carry many thousands of reference
and fiction books with me in my pocket anywhere I go. I have vast
amounts of information safely archived on inexpensive external drives,
yet easily accessible. It would require me to have another house to keep
all that on paper.

Best wishes,

	- Miriam

--
If you don't have any failures then you're not trying hard enough.
  - Dr. Charles Elachi, director of NASA's Jet Propulsion Laboratory