[Techtalk] Simple date question

vonda trucs vtrucs at gmail.com
Tue Oct 8 06:56:35 UTC 2013

Just got home from my second shift job - thanks, all for the replies.

However, I was looking for more of a command line thingie, a one-liner
that could be copied into a .bashrc, like my settime alias.

I've been using an outdated but favorite version of Ubuntu as a live
CD that I start up each session, ever since my totally tricked out,
dialed in and sorted Linux T60 laptop died about a month ago.  I have
to keep this laptop as is, XP'd, because it has all the work from my
last computer job on it and no more room.

I can't replace said Linux laptop any time soon, so to overcome the
frustration of what I have to use now, I've a script that copies over
some of the more essential things, like the interfaces file that lets
me ifup, down and config like a true *nixian, instead of having to use
that horribly windowesque NetworkManager applet.  (also trying to
tease out the code to turn off just the wireless part of that, but
that's a project for another wasted week), and the prefs.js to
arm-wrestle Firefox into degoogled, deNSAd and detab mode..

So anything that requires writing to the hard drive won't do it.
Also, as an old mainframe programmer from way back, I'm not fond of
mice and menus and tend to look for keyboard shortcuts or typed
solutions.

I did know this was going to be an iffy question because the Date man
pages are my hands-down favorite for the Most Inscrutable Linux
Documentation Ever award.  So thanks Marian, for your real world
translation of their blithe "you can use Date to set the time zone"
note in the intro (or words to that effect, don't have Linux up at the
moment), into the incontrovertible "No you can't". It's saved me at
least another fruitless day, Off now to find the conf file to write
over on the temp. Linux system to sudo set this.

Ta!

MG