[Techtalk] php help

Sheila Fenelon sheila at shefen.com
Thu May 30 03:26:59 UTC 2013

Maria McKinley wrote:

> I am getting weird characters at the bottom of my php page outputs, and I
> can't figure out why. My searches tell me it is related to character
> encoding, but I can't figure out where else I could change the encoding.
>
> ella:~# echo $LANG
> en_US.UTF-8
>
> I've set encoding for utf-8 in /etc/apache2/conf.d/charset and php.ini
>
> To look at what I am talking about at the very bottom of this page are the
> weird characters:
>
> http://www.shadlenlab.columbia.edu/test.php
>
> This is a very simple php page:

> <head>
> <title>PHP Test</title>
> </head>
> <?php phpinfo(); ?>
>
> The characters do not show up on an html page with no php. Any ideas?

I can't recreate it here with PHP 5.2 on 32-bit Debian. But it goes away when I use
wget to capture that page.

Is it on all PHP pages or just that one? Because that page has extra HTML. All it
needs is

<?php phpinfo() ?>

and a complete HTML page will be generated.

--
Sheila Fenelon
http://www.shefen.com/