[Techtalk] more drupal 6 fun-- FeedAPI/Feeds

Carla Schroder carla at bratgrrl.com
Wed Mar 6 16:47:01 UTC 2013

hey all,

I'm having problems with FeedAPI on Drupal 6. Our main site has over
1800 incoming RSS feeds-- these belong to our bloggers, who set up
their own feeds to pull in their own content to publish on our site.
FeedAPI has become unreliable and does not refresh feeds automatically
like it's supposed to. Our host, Acquia, recommends upgrading to Feeds,
but I don't believe they have a clue about this for these reasons:

Feeds is not a drop-in replacement, but requires migrating the existing
feeds. There is a script for this, but he documentation is incomplete
and unhelpful, for example:

"Be aware that Feeds does not support per-feed configuration, so you
will definitely LOSE all your per-feed configuration. You need to
manually create additional Feeds importer configurations when a specific
per-feed configuration is essential."
https://github.com/developmentseed/feedapi2feeds

WTF does that even mean? They give no examples or explanations. Adding
to the fun, the migration script has not been updated since 2009 and
appears to be broken, and the Feeds maintainer is not interested in
updating it:

http://drupal.org/node/955388

With 8 sites depending on this and over 2000 total feeds, I would very
much prefer something that is more reliable. So we either make FeedAPI
work until we migrate to Drupal 7, or find something more reliable than
this unmaintained FeedAPI2Feeds importer.

thanks for any wisdoms!

Carla

--
Carla Schroder