[Techtalk] Server Boot Loader

Billie Walsh bilwalsh at swbell.net
Tue Jan 29 19:01:06 UTC 2013

On 01/29/2013 10:55 AM, Chris Wilson wrote:
> On Tue, 29 Jan 2013, Billie Walsh wrote:
>
>> I hope you understand some of this. All I see is "waw waw waw, waw"
>
> Some of it, although it's an unusual configuration.
>
>>> "mount" and
>>
>> /dev/rd/c0d0p1 on / type ext4 (rw,errors=remount-ro)
>
> This is not a ramdisk, despite appearances to the contrary: it seems
> that Mylex DAC960 is unique in abusing (sharing) /dev/rd for its Raid
> partitions.
>
> Could you try running this command and tell us the output:
>
> grub-install /dev/rd/host0/target0/disc

billie0w at server1:~$ grub-install /dev/rd/host0/target0/disc
cp: cannot create regular file `/boot/grub/915resolution.mod':
Permission denied
billie0w at server1:~$ sudo grub-install /dev/rd/host0/target0/disc
[sudo] password for billie0w:
/usr/sbin/grub-probe: error: cannot stat `/dev/rd/host0/target0/disc'.

> Also, if you hold down Shift during boot (without the Super Grub
> disk), do you get a Grub menu from the installed OS?

Doesn't do a thing.

--

“Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I’m not sure about the former.”
-Albert Einstein