[Techtalk] Server Boot Loader

Billie Walsh bilwalsh at swbell.net
Tue Jan 29 14:59:04 UTC 2013

On 01/29/2013 07:54 AM, Chris Wilson wrote:
> On Tue, 29 Jan 2013, Billie Walsh wrote:
>
>> Part of the problem is my own lack of knowledge. The other part is
>> that Grub and Lilo will not install on the RAID array without what
>> appears to be some special VooDoo.
>
> Please tell us exactly what happens when you try to install Grub. Copy
> and paste the command that you ran and the output that you get.
>
> Cheers, Chris.

I installed Xubuntu and everything seemed to go well right up to the
point where the system reboots into the installed OS. It just sits there
like a lump with a flashing cursor.

In order to try to answer any questions I booted the machine up. In the
Super Grub screen I saw a "Detect Grub 2 Configurations". I chose that
instead of detecting OS's. It came up with a choice that booted the OS.
SO, maybe what we thought was a failure to install is instead a failure
to install in the right place or a failure to find during the boot process.

I did notice during the RAID start up sequence a note about two system
drives installed.  Not sure what is going on with that. Maybe when I set
the drives up to act as one drive I missed something. [ a real
possibility - I was flying blind beyond my expertise ] Maybe I need to
back up and do more research into the setup.

The RAID reports it's a Mylex /DAC960/ with Adaptec "drivers" (?) circa
1999.

--

"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former."
-Albert Einstein