[Techtalk] Drupal 6 vs. 7 vs. 8

Terry tech at futurecourse.com
Mon Jan 21 00:37:19 UTC 2013

On 1/19/13 6:08 PM, Carla Schroder wrote:
> O Great Drupal Deities,
>
> My main job is in-house Drupal jockey for a family of 8 sites with a
> common codebase, but each site has a different editorial focus. We're
> currently hosted on Acquia on Drupal 6. I believe Acquia does not
> support Drupal 8 yet, so we're looking at migrating to Drupal 7.
>
> I don't want to get into specifics for various reasons, but here are
> some of the issues we're dealing with:
>
> - our Drupal 6 setup is overly-customized, to the point of duplicating
>    built-in Drupal functionality
> - if Drupal 6 isn't officially end-of-life, it seems it's running out
>    of gas anyway, and winding down to mainly security and bugfixes
> - It seems that 8 is still far from a release date-- but are there
>    reasons to consider skipping 7?
> - We're probably wanting to have this done by the end of June.
>
> Thoughts? Linkies? Words of wisdom?
>
> Carla

Hi Carla,

I made the switch to 7 quite a while ago right before it got out of
beta.  The main impetus for me were some modules available for 7 that
weren't in 6, saving me from quite a bit of customization and it was
stable enough at the time for production.  I haven't even considered
testing 8 and won't for quite a while.  I'm happy with 7 and sites are
running fine.

I found 7 easier to customize.  I use drush as well.  My impression is
that things are easier for me using 7 and drush than they were when I
used 6.  I don't know if that's because I've got that much more
experience with Drupal just because of the amount of time I've been
using it or whether 7 is just that much better,  It's been so long since
I worked in 6 that I can't recall specifics.  Sorry about that.

One thing I did do which has been really awesome for the sites was
switch to nginx from apache.  I've got 8 sites using the same code base
on a Linode 512 and they run great.

--
Terry