[Techtalk] partitioning under linux

Gnat Alie linuxgnat at gmail.com
Tue Feb 5 19:14:28 UTC 2013

Thanks for the input, Miriam. Grub is working fine, but Windows is being
finicky (Grub is even giving me options to boot OS X 32 or 64 bit, though
neither will boot, which isn't important as OS X does boot without Grub).
I'll probably, then, just move my swap and resize it and give the extra
space to Linux. Hopefully that'll fix the issue or else I think I'll have
to just wipe (which I really don't hope for because I could've done that a
few weeks ago).

Re: windows booting other operating systems:
I recently set up a computer with Fedora 17 and Windows 7 (it came
pre-loaded with Windows 7) for someone else. Though under the UEFI
bootloader, you can get to a BIOS (or at least BIOS-like
interface/control), what ends up happening if you just install Fedora
without installing rEFInd on a UEFI machine is that the machine will
auto-boot Fedora unless you have good reflexes and timing to get to the
BIOS menu to boot Windows. That rather amused me, honestly - that Microsoft
is trying to keep OSs like Linux out and it ends up acting like Windows
isn't even there unless you put rEFInd on the machine or go into the BIOS.
rEFInd works wonderfully and acknowledges both Grub and Windows. rEFInd
also allows customization of which one auto-boots and how long you want to
wait. So yes, the Windows UEFI bootloader *can* launch other OSs, but it
takes a bit of timing and reflexes.