[Techtalk] Accessing a web page on my server

Billie Walsh bilwalsh at swbell.net
Sun Feb 3 14:07:53 UTC 2013

Fall back five yards and punt.

What I'm needing to find, according to
http://httpd.apache.org/docs/2.2/howto/public_html.html :

<quote>
Note that, by default, access to these directories is *not* enabled. You
can enable access when using |UserDir
<http://httpd.apache.org/docs/2.2/mod/mod_userdir.html#userdir>| by
uncommenting the line

|#Include conf/extra/httpd-userdir.conf |

in the default config file, and adapting the |httpd-userdir.conf| file
as necessary, or by including the appropriate directives in a
|Directory| block within the main config file.
<unquote>

It then goes on to tell you all the gory details of what and why but not
where. The "tutorial" obviously was written to someone that has a
certain amount of expertise/training already. Something I totally lack.

I have no idea what the "default configuration file" is or where it is.
No file I can find has the commented out line I need to uncomment. After
that I will need to edit other files to direct Apache to the chosen user
space. One step at a time. Find the needed file and edit the line. Then
edit the config files to point to the chosen directory.

The techytalk link Akkana sent tells how to point apache to the user
space for all users listed in the system users list. Helpful for later.

Thank you for all you do and you patient understanding of my ignorance.

Please believe me. When I'm not actively doing the steps and reading the
links you send I'm googling like crazy on my own.

--

"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former."
-Albert Einstein