[Techtalk] Linux media center?

Carla Schroder carla at bratgrrl.com
Mon Dec 9 07:08:20 UTC 2013

My adventures so far:

Plex doesn't play .isos. I save my movies in .iso files. Skillions of
Linux media apps handle movie .isos fine. Plex doesn't.

XBMC is rather nice and it even plays my movies and music. Which is
the whole idea :) But the addons installer doesn't work. it doesn't even
display installable addons. This appears to be a known problem, and the
suggested remedies are to force-refresh the repo (done) and delete
the .xbmc/userdata directory, then force-refresh the addon repo again.
It doesn't work. The Web interface is a nice idea, but it doesn't see
all of my movies and TV shows.

I knew this was going to be a big fat pain! I've heard that VLC makes a
nice little media center, so I'm going to try that. Really, what I want
is pretty simple, just pipe my digitized movies and music to my tv and
hifi. IR remote support is nice, but a Web interface will do. I can
live without all the downloading title and artist info, and trying to
entice me to sign up for various channels. Stay tuned for a VLC
test-drive report.

Carla