[Techtalk] Linux media center?

Eeva Järvinen eevaj at welho.com
Wed Dec 4 07:53:21 UTC 2013

On Mon, Dec 02, 2013 at 10:00:11PM -0800, Carla Schroder wrote:
> Attention! I seek opinions! I have a slick little media box all ready
> to go to work as my media center. It will attach to my bigass TV and
> nice multi-channel receiver via HDMI. I don't need streaming to my
> million closest Internet friends or herd of smartphones and tablets.
> Just a nice static setup for storing movies and music on the media
> box, and playing them on the teevee and hifi.
>
> So what's good? XMBC, Boxee, Mythbuntu, Element...??? I'm old and tired
> and don't want to test all of them :)

I'm interested in this, too.  I have to replace my aging home server
soon, and while my most pressing needs can be met with almost anything
from a RPi onwards (light web serving, ssh, irc), I'd like to tinker
with a media server.  I'd be running spotify on it, too, and some
flash(boo! hiss!)-based web streaming, but those shouldn't prove to be
a problem on any relatively modern distro.

Eeva

--
Uxor Mariae.