[Techtalk] hosting question-- shared server that exposes logins from other accounts

Carla Schroder carla at bratgrrl.com
Thu Apr 18 03:55:22 UTC 2013

Hey all,

I just ran into one really weird deal. The company I work for pays
several thousand dollars per month for managed cloud hosting. We have a
three-server setup: dev, stage, and prod. Our Prod server is on
dedicated hardware, but the dev/stage server is shared. So when I ssh in
to the dev server and run the 'last' or 'who' commands I see all these
other logins, presumably other customers but I have no way of knowing
who they are. This alarms me-- what else is leaking between accounts? I
filed a ticket asking about this but our host gave an unsatisfactory
answer. Obviously it's no big to them-- what's your take? Should I be
concerned? I know I do not like it because it feels insecure.

best,
Carla

--
Carla Schroder