[Techtalk] Linux jukebox on old laptop

Miriam English mim at miriam-english.org
Thu Apr 18 01:51:48 UTC 2013

Hi Helga,

PMusic is laggy even on fast machines. I dislike it for that reason too.

Try Aqualung. That's my current favorite. It is quick and responsive.
You should be able to download it using the "Install" program on the
desktop. Drag and drop files onto the interface to queue them. You don't
need to explicitly save the list as it will remember it for next time.
One nice feature of Aqualung is that you can have several lists as tabs,
thus changing the entire playlist between one of many choices as fits
the occasion.

Or, you can use the movie player program already installed in Puppy. It
may be GXine or mplayer -- different versions of Puppy use one or the
other. It should be able to queue lists of audio files without having to
install a new program. When the player program is running choose to
display the playlist, then drag and drop the files you want onto the
playlist. You may need to save the playlist and load that into the
player another time, because (unlike Aqualung) the movieplayers will
forget the playlist when you close them down.

Cheers,

	- Miriam