[Techtalk] Linux jukebox on old laptop

tauscher at abwesend.de tauscher at abwesend.de
Wed Apr 17 18:38:21 UTC 2013

Hi,

I am about to set up a very old laptop as a jukebox for a cultural/political/social space. Its a Gericom Webboy (Boy, what a daffy name), Pentium III, 128MB, very old indeed. Lets leave aside the option of newer hardware, cause this is what we have ... anyway I love the challenge. The best and most painless I came up with so far is installing Puppy Wary including PMusic, but I think there may be solutions with even more reduced functionality and thus a more fluid experience. The main annoyance is the slow display of the track list in PMusic even in "low powered" mode, no matter whether the list is displayed from index or folder.

Has anyone tried something similiar and wants to share her experiences?

Thank you and cheers,

Helga