[Techtalk] testing dns change

Carla Schroder carla at bratgrrl.com
Fri Sep 28 03:50:19 UTC 2012

On Wed, 26 Sep 2012 20:44:46 +0100
James Sutherland <james at deadnode.org> wrote:

> On 26 Sep 2012, at 20:38, Carla Schroder <carla at bratgrrl.com> wrote:
>

> > hiho,
> >
> > When I migrate a Web site to a different Web host, how do I know
> > which server my Web browser is hitting? It's a shared IP address,
> > so I can't test it by entering the IP address in my browser.
> > http://www.whatsmydns.net/ is wonderful for tracking DNS
> > propagation, but I still don't know which server my Web browser is
> > hitting.
>
> Ping will use the same DNS settings and cache as your browser, so a
> simple "ping www.example.com" will tell you which IP address your
> system thinks www.example.com belongs on at the moment:

This thread is a wealth of useful stuff. Kai's ShowIP suggestion
led me to IPvFox, which sits in the Firefox URL bar and shows all the
IP addresses feeding content to a Web site. I've been using this to
hunt down images and stuff from external servers on HTTPS pages.

thanks much!
Carla

--
Carla Schroder