[Techtalk] implementing HTTPS-only sitewide

Maria McKinley maria at shadlen.org
Thu Sep 6 08:04:19 UTC 2012

On 9/6/12 12:31 AM, Wim De Smet wrote:
> On Wed, Sep 5, 2012 at 8:35 PM, Maria McKinley <maria at shadlen.org> wrote:
>> This is approximately what I was going to say. For some reason the
>> RewriteCon and Rewrite rule are often in .htaccess, but I've never
>> understood why.
>
> I think it's most likely just because guides and howto's are often
> written from the perspective of someone using some sort of shared
> hosting. Arguably it's also a logical place, since you can bundle all
> your rules there and rewriting rules tend to change every now and
> then. It also has some advantages if you ever want to move your site
> to a different server. The more self-contained it is, the easier this
> exercise becomes.
>
> regards,
> Wim

The disadvantage being that they are hidden files, and can be in any
directory and affect any subdirectory in that directory. So to get a
picture of how things are being directed in a particular directory, you
have to look in that directory and every directory above it for these
hidden files that may or may not be doing something to the directory you
care about. Which makes getting a good picture of the way things are
being directed over an entire website a bit of a pain.

cheers,
maria