[Techtalk] weird wordpress error: 404 on % in permalinks-- more info

Carla Schroder carla at bratgrrl.com
Sun Oct 21 00:34:09 UTC 2012

Me again,

First of all this was throwing 400 errors, not 404.

I got an education and a half in configuring Apache's ModSecurity. To
make a long story short, I learned I had to tail -f the site's error
log to find the specific errors, and to get ModSecurity rule numbers.
Then create /etc/httpd/modsecurity.d/lwrules/whitelist.conf to whitelist
the relevant pages and rule ID numbers, like this:

<LocationMatch "/wp-admin/[-a-z][-a-z]*\.php">
  SecRuleRemoveById 950107 950004 950911
</LocationMatch>

<Location "wp-comments-post.php">
  SecRuleRemoveById
</Location>

I'm still figuring this out, but it works, and searching for 'How to
disable ModSecurity rules for Wordpress' finds a number of helpful
howtos.

best,
Carla
--