[Techtalk] cPanel tangent

Tracey tclark77 at tlcnet.info
Fri Nov 16 19:57:18 UTC 2012

On 11/16/2012 1:25 PM, Cynthia Kiser wrote:
> Quoting Tracey <tclark77 at tlcnet.info>:
>> I work for cPanel, in the automated test writing & QA dept. Your
>> comments caught my attention. *snip*
> That sounds like a very interesting job.

As a matter of fact, I'm having more fun developing testing scripts than
I ever thought I would :D
> What aspects of cPanel do you
> test and what tools do you use to do the testing?

The long term goal is to have automated test scripts that cover all
aspects of the product in the WHM, cPanel and backend interfaces. We're
not there yet. My team is currently working on developing scripts for
the various bits of the cPanel interface (mail, logs & stats etc).

We're writing our tests in perl, using Selenium & webdriver as well as
ssh and api calls.

>   I am pretty familiar
> with web testing tools - especially Selenium and those in the Rails
> ecosystem like cucumber - but the idea of testing setup scripts is
> kind of intriguing. There is some interest in this in the devops
> community but I don't know a lot about what the state of the art
> is. Care to enlighten me?

I don't fully understand what state of the art is for testing scripts
industry wide, unfortunately. I'm pretty new to the concept of test
scripts in general, although I plan on getting more knowledge in this area.

Tracey C