[Techtalk] offsite backup for home users

Tracey tclark77 at tlcnet.info
Fri Nov 16 19:05:16 UTC 2012

Hi Chris,

I work for cPanel, in the automated test writing & QA dept. Your
comments caught my attention. While I am, admittedly, biased due to
being a cP employee, I am not blinded to shortfalls in the software.

On 11/16/2012 10:38 AM, chris wrote:
> I wouldn't use DreamHost for anything that needed to be secure though.  I've fixed one too many hacked websites that seemed to have been hacked through their serverside cpanel application and they're not particularly verbose when there's a problem like that until enough customers speak up about it.
>
> hth
> chris

To clarify, cPanel is not "an application". It is complex software that
includes a web front end as well as many scripts and rpms which
integrate with Apache, mySQL, PHP and other server software. While the
cPanel software itself has not been 100% immune from being hacked,
usually it's an outdated or otherwise insecure PHP script that is
responsible for a website getting hacked.

Obviously, I can't speak for DreamHost. If they regularly have security
problems, certainly they aren't a top choice for any backup or
webhosting needs.

Tracey C