[Techtalk] offsite backup for home users

Alison Chaiken alchaiken at gmail.com
Fri Nov 16 00:54:04 UTC 2012

The recent floods in NYC make me think about offsite backup of my home
machines.     If an earthquake destroys my residence, or I return home
to find door smashed and 'puters gone, having complete backup on
N.A.S. won't help.      Does anyone use a remote, cloud-based backup,
preferably automated?     I have perhaps 1 TB total of data that
changes slowly.     I'd like to push a copy offsite perhaps once per
month, and obviously am willing to pay.

Obviously, I am a Linux user, Debian if that matters.   I have a
medium-fast DSL connection.    I won't consider Dropbox, with which I
have seen an attempted exploit on my own machine with my own eyes.
Does anyone have another suggestion?    Is anyone using Dreamhost,
suggested on freenode's #linuxjournal?    Obviously I'm looking for a
backup outside the Bay Area, as having my bits on another machine in
Mountain View may not help much in the event of a real disaster.

Thanks,
Alison

--
Alison Chaiken
(650) 279-5600  (cell)                       {she-devel.com,