[Techtalk] making scheduled reminder popups in Drupal 6

Lisa Kachold lisakachold at obnosis.com
Fri Nov 9 01:19:47 UTC 2012

Laugh!

Hello Carla!
Hi Kathryn,

Drupal is fun to hack on - so many modules, so much php?

On Thu, Nov 8, 2012 at 4:18 PM, Kathryn Hogg <kjh at flyballdogs.com> wrote:

> On 2012-11-08 16:03, Carla Schroder wrote:
>
>> Help Drupal is driving me insane. Again :) And it's doubtless due to my
>> tragic lack of Drupal-fu. I am tasked with creating a popup to
>> promote Webinars. The popup must popup at scheduled times, and know when
>> it has already been displayed to a visitor and not keep getting in their
>> face. The information on the popup will change frequently, so it would
>> be nice if it were easy to edit. Is there anything like this for Drupal
>> 6?
>>

> I've never done anything like this but perhaps a combination of the Popup
> module, Views, and Views auto refresh?
>
> 1. Popup: http://drupal.org/project/**popup<http://drupal.org/project/popup>
> 2. Views: http://dupal.org/project/views
> 3. Views Auto Refresh: http://drupal.org/project/**views_hacks<http://drupal.org/project/views_hacks> (part of Views Hacks)
>
> What I'm thinking is write a view that returns whatever content you want.
>  Display it as a block and use the Popup to display that block as a popup.
>  You'll need to figure out a way for the view to filter content that the
> user has already seen if Popup doesn't have something similar.  Collapsible
> blocks uses a cookie to remember which blocks I don't want expanded so
> perhaps Popup has something similar?
>
> --
> Kathryn Hogg
> http://womensfooty.com
>
> I felt for you so I decided to jump in:

http://drupal.org/node/108984

You need to use the Scheduler Block:

excerpt:

Scheduler: Automate Node Publishing / Unpublishing
 Scheduler module Introduction

This module allows nodes to be published and unpublished on specified dates
and times.

If JSCalendar is enabled (part of the JSTools module), a popup Javascript
calendar is used to select the date and time for (un)publishing of nodes
(only Drupal 5 version), otherwise it defaults to text input.
Screencast

Here is a quick 5 minute screencast overview of enabling and using
Scheduler.http://youtu.be/G7VfhGI4aoE
 Installation

   1. Copy the scheduler <http://drupal.org/project/scheduler> directory to
   your modules directory.
   2. Enable the module, database schemas will be setup automatically.
   3. Grant users the permission "schedule (un)publishing of nodes" so they
   can set when the nodes they create are to be (un)published.
   4. You can also set the date/time format to be used in Administer ->
   Site configuration -> Schedule module settings.
   5. Visit Administer -> Content management -> Content types and select
   any node type and check the box "enable scheduled (un)publishing" for this
   node type.
   6. Check "Alter published on time" to alter the published on time to
   match the scheduled time.
   7. Repeat for all node types that you want scheduled publishing for.

Usage

For node types that have been enabled for using Scheduler the node edit
page has an extra collapsible fieldset. In this you will find:

   - Publish on
   - Unpublish on

*Publish on*: Enter here the date that you would like the posting to be
published. Leave this blank to disable automatic scheduled publishing. This
is useful if you would like to make a posting published immediately but
then unpublished at a later date.

*Unpublish on*: Enter here the date that you would like the posting to be
unpublished. Leave this blank if you do not want the posting to be
automatically unpublished.
 Notes

   1. If you have JSCalender (part of the JSTools module) installed and
   enabled, then the *publish*and *unpublish* dates can be entered with the
   JSCalender pop-up (only Drupal 5 version)
   2. Scheduled automated publish and unpublish functions occur via the
   cron system so the actual, real world, publication times will be aligned to
   when your cron system runs. For example, if you enter a published time of
   3:45pm but cron only runs once an hour on the hour then the real publish
   time will be 4:00pm and not 3:45pm.
   3. The creation time of the node will be set to the scheduled
   publication time if you enable "Alter published on time" in the
   content-type settings.