[Techtalk] Shared library dependencies - Debian

Chris Wilson chris+linuxchix at aptivate.org
Thu Nov 8 21:44:53 UTC 2012

Hi Terry,

On Thu, 8 Nov 2012, Terry wrote:

> Got a bit of a head scratcher here and no clue where to start looking.
>
> With an upgrade of Mariadb 5.5 on debian using mariadb repo, I started
> getting these errors:
>
> [....] Starting MTA:/usr/sbin/exim4: /usr/lib/libmysqlclient.so.18: no
> version information available (required by /usr/sbin/exim4)
> /usr/sbin/exim4: /usr/lib/libmysqlclient.so.18: no version information
> available (required by /usr/sbin/exim4)
> /usr/sbin/exim4: /usr/lib/libmysqlclient.so.18: no version information
> available (required by /usr/sbin/exim4)
> [ ok 4.

How about downgrading back to the version of mysql supplied with the OS?

> With ldd /usr/sbin/exim4 | grep libmysql
>
> Seems like there are two entries for libmysqlclient18
>
> ldd /usr/sbin/exim4 | grep libmysql
> /usr/sbin/exim4: /usr/lib/libmysqlclient.so.18: no version information
> available (required by /usr/sbin/exim4)
> libmysqlclient.so.18 => /usr/lib/libmysqlclient.so.18 (0xb706f000)

No, I'd say one line is the warning and one line is the actual library.
Nothing unusual there except the warning.

> So I set up a fresh installs of both Debian Wheezy and Debian Squeeze to
> see if something was amiss with just my server.  Same issues.

What exactly did you do? Install mariadb from the same repo and the
problem appeared?

> No clue where to start looking for the problem.  Is this a mariadb bug?
> I've tried asking on mariadb mailing list but no response to speak of,
> other than suggesting that is if the symlink isn't there, then put one
> in.

Yes, I'd say it's a bug in the versions in the mariadb repo. Debian
packages are vere hard to get right (I hate them) and perhaps they got
them wrong, or they're not really compatible with your version of Debian.

I reckon you should go back to a supported combination of software. Use
the latest mariadb/mysql that comes with your OS and no other. Then at
least there's only one group to hold responsible for any problems, and the
Debian community are pretty good at fixing problems with Debian in my
experience.

Cheers, Chris.
--
Aptivate | http://www.aptivate.org | Phone: +44 1223 967 838
Future Business, Cam City FC, Milton Rd, Cambridge, CB4 1UY, UK

with company number 04980791.