[Techtalk] Sound card gone missing - OSS/ALSA woes

agoats at compuserve.com agoats at compuserve.com
Sun Mar 18 03:11:33 UTC 2012

There's a thing not talked about in engineering and scientific circles
and that is not to talk about your failures.

I found in business that I can do anything i want with scrap, no one
cares. But when I find something that works with the scrap and show it
to the powers that be, I get chided for using scrap and to go do it
again with good material. IF I had used good material and failed.... bad
things all around!

Consequently, I never talk about the failures, only the successes, same
as Thomas Edison. How many failures did he have before he found the
magic for the electric bulb?

So, the best thing is a separate computer for hubby to crash and learn
with. With Linux, it doesn't have to be the latest and best computer,
I've been running 500MHz to 1GHz machines at home quite satisfactorily,
just max out the RAM as much as the  machine will take. Keep a recovery
disk or installation disk handy and show the user how to find software
and install from the internet.

As for learning from failures...
1)  Look at the failure and what it did, it gives clues what not to do
and which direction to go

2)  Try the direction the failure suggests and see what happens. If it
succeeds, great, but if it fails too, look a the clues as it narrows
where to go next.

3)  Keep track of where you went and how it failed; many engineers and
scientists tend to go in circles, eventually repeating what didn't work
the first time and all too often, stubbornly going in the same circle
over and over and over....

4)  If you get this far and can't go further, then ask the sages and
give them the details of what you have, both good and bad. I had a
couple of problems that escalated from the Applications Engineers and
ramped up to a VP that originally worked on the issues in the deep, dark
past. I got my answers, but because of the first 3 steps, i "proved" I
wasn't a newbie who should read the manual, I had something that
required true wizardry above and beyond the  simple chants shared by the
Application Engineers.

Alvin