[Techtalk] Sound card gone missing - OSS/ALSA woes

Little Girl littlergirl at gmail.com
Wed Mar 14 17:59:34 UTC 2012

Hey there,

Gwen Morse wrote:
> Little Girl wrote:

> > P.S. Tell your husband that's he's one up on me since I once wiped
> > out an entire partition (that wasn't backed up!) on a friend's
> > computer quite by accident while trying to be helpful. (:

> LOL - yeah. Even worse, hubby has broken stuff in the past and is
> under strict orders to not add/remove *anything*.

Aw, poor guy. You might want to change that to only having him add or
remove things under supervision, and then praise him wildly for any
successes because he sounds very enthusiastic, and it would be a
shame to squelch that. I suspect he'll make a very good Linux guru one
day. (:

> It's probably quicker and easier to just start clean but I have a
> bunch of stuff I really don't want to have to sweat through "again".
> Upgrading to Crossover 11 just killed my Crossover 10 install and I
> reinstalled about 20 games by hand. I spent several weeks tweaking
> things before I left on my trip and my lappy was just humming
> along. I was even getting comfortable with the new Gnome desktop.

I believe a lot of that can be backed up and popped right into the
new install with practically no effort.

> I typoed earlier, I only have Fedora 15, not 16. If I run an upgrade
> CD for Fedora 16 or 17, will it manually detect all hardware or will
> just use the the existing settings?

I suspect an upgrade would respect any choices you made previously,
but you could contact The Powers That Be at Fedora and ask. (:

> My bluetooth card module seems to be missing as well. Hubby says he
> didn't touch that, and I have a separate nagging feeling it wasn't
> working before I left on my trip. I had the motherboard replaced
> and I *think* I had the thought that they must have sent a
> motherboard with a different bluetooth card. So it would be nice to
> have some way of forcing hardware detection across the whole
> system. Not sure if upgrades do that or only fresh installs.

Hmmm, I'm starting to think there's more going on here than the
removal of sound software. Have you tried putting a live CD in and
seeing if everything that's not working in the actual installation
works in the live CD? Maybe there's a hardware issue that you never
would have found out about without your husband's intervention. (:

> I will also try to hunt down alsa-tools 1.0.24.2. I have 1.0.24.1
> (yum reports it as the most recent for Fedora 15) and there's no
> alsaconf in it.

You've now gotten more than one message from people recommending
alsaconf, so it might be worth it to hunt that file down and try it.
If you can't get it, it might be worth it to research why it was
deprecated and what, exactly, replaced it as far as its
functionality, because it sounds like the file you got as a
replacement didn't do the job. ):

--
Little Girl

There is no spoon.